Bioinformatics Solutions Inc. (BSI) founded in 2000 in Waterloo, Canada, develops and continually innovates the proteomics software platform PEAKS to identify and quantify proteins in very complex biological samples with LC-MS. Also provided is antibody characterization software and service, allowing customers to quickly and cost effectively characterize antibodies.
We offer great career opportunities in a new dynamic setting. Our employees are eligible for attractive benefits and options. Our office is located in the city of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (approximately one hour driving distance from Toronto).
The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact on all matters pertaining to CEO. The Executive Assistant is required to have multitasking skills, an ability to handle many requests, good judgement and the ability to act quickly whilst retaining a calm and confident demeanour. The successful applicant will take a proactive approach and be able to anticipate the needs of the CEO.
The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven and community oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for CEO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the CEO’s schedule is followed and respected
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to CEO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response
- Works closely and effectively with the CEO to keep him well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CEO’s ability to effectively lead the company
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures
- Bachelor’s degree (required)
- Similar work experience (5+ years)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Strong organizational skills with the ability prioritize and perform multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines
Bioinformatics Solutions Inc is currently looking for a Front-End Software Development Engineer who is motivated to combine the art of design with the art of programming. The successful candidate will work with a team of talented individuals to deliver an attractive, easy-to-use Web interface to our users.
- Development, test, optimization and deployment of Web front-end
- Prototype new designs
- Ensure proper functioning of CI with all test passing
- Mentor junior developers in Web development
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related fields
- 3+ years of professional work experience on web applications
- Deep knowledge and proficiency of HTML, CSS, and React+Redux
- Ability to package and deploy with Webpack
- Experience with RESTful API services
Bonus Experience (be sure to include those that apply):
- Experience building reactive web applications
- Familiarity with the front-end charting libraries (ie: SVGs, D3, canvas, etc.)
- Familiarity with front-end testing framework (ie: enzyme, jest, etc.)
- Experience with linting and code coverage tools
- Familiarity with OAuth platform & handling of JSON web tokens (JWT)
- Experience with browser storage (ie: IndexedDB, etc)
- Port bioinformatics algorithms from desktop platform to cloud-based platform
- Design server end software for large-scale, highly available distributed cloud system in high-quality, high-performance Java, create robust high-volume cloud computing applications
- Collaborate with other developers to design, document and implement the interfaces between modules
- Debug and troubleshoot problems in test and production environments
- Create and execute the unit test plan and feature test plan
- Interact with our project teams supporting customers all over the world
- Bachelor degree in computer science, software engineering or related fields
- Three year’s experience working with Java as a software developer
- Strong understanding of algorithms and how to apply them in real world applications
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and design patterns
- Strong understanding of asynchronous programming and multi-threaded programming
- Familiar with latest Java 8 features, such as stream API, lambda, ect.
- Familiar with Java Swing and Java FX
- Work experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Good understanding of programming in distributed system is a bonus
- Experience with web technologies on JVM is a bonus
- Experience with Akka, Hadoop and Spark is a big bonus
- Experience with Play and VertX is a big bonus
- Experience with HDFS, MongoDB and Cassandra is a big bonus
Bioinformatics Solutions Inc. (BSI) is a leading software & service company, serving biopharmaceutical development and proteomics researchers. With our growing demand, we are looking for a motivated, hard-working individual to join our team as a “Mass Spectrometry Specialist”. The successful candidate is expected to apply state-of-art mass spectrometry techniques to perform proteomics and peptidomics studies, provide technical support and research on antibody characterization and foster team collaboration with internal and external groups.
- Apply and develop mass spectrometry technologies and execute experiments for proteomics and peptidomics studies and perform data analysis
- Operate and maintain laboratory instruments including LC systems and mass spectrometers
- Develop new techniques, draft protocols, and document work in laboratory notebooks
- Communicate experimental methods and results to internal teams and external collaborators
- Minimum MSc degree (biology/chemistry or related field)
- Hands-on experience with developing and performing sample preparation for mass spectrometry experiment, and related data analysis for protein and peptide characterization
- Hands-on experience with mass spectrometry and LC instrument operation, maintenance and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and effectively, both independently and within a team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Having enthusiasm in science and technology and is self-motivated and eager to learn
Bonus Experience (be sure to include those that apply):
- Proficient with advanced mass spectrometry technologies, e.g. Orbitrap, Q-TOF, etc.
- Familiar with label-free and label-based protein quantification methods and data analysis
- Familiar with post-translational modification methods and data analysis
- Knowledge of a programming language
- Fluency in additional languages
The Bioinformatics Solutions Inc. (BSI) research team is developing an AI based technology to solve some fundamental problems in protein drug discovery. We are seeking a talented research engineer to bridge the gap between research and real product implementation.
- Understand latest advance in mass spectrometry data analysis algorithm for drug discovery.
- Develop highly scalable algorithms based on state-of-the-art machine learning and neural network methodologies.
- Collaborate with AI research scientists to implement published algorithms with expert coding skills.
- Adapt machine learning and neural network algorithms and architectures to best exploit modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP, and GPU).
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field.
- 3+ years experience in developing and debugging in Java and/or Python.
- 3+ years experience programming under Linux environment
- 1+ year(s) experience in a software engineering role with emphasis on machine learning and optimization.
- M.S. or Ph.D degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field
- Experience building systems based on machine learning (especially deep learning) methods
- Experience using frameworks like PyTorch, Caffe2, Tensorflow, Theano, Keras, and/or Chainer
- Experience with storage systems, distributed systems, HPC, compilers, and/or CUDA programming